Be in the Heart of Texas
An insider's look at Texas history
Over 9 million visitors from across the world have explored the Bullock Texas State History Museum to see what makes Texas—Texas.
Opened in 2001 as the official history museum of the State of Texas, we engage the broadest possible audience to interpret the continually unfolding Story of Texas through meaningful educational experiences.
Our core values of Leadership, Excellence, Accessibility, Diversity, Engagement, and Relevance are woven throughout the Story of Texas—the richness of hundreds of artifacts, its culture, and groundbreaking innovations are revealed for all ages in exhibitions, films, symposiums, community events, field trips, and fun, family-centered programs. We steward the display of Texas artifacts from around the world, building relationships with museums, archives, and private lenders to help us explore our dynamic stories; something new is always on view. We also collect and archive first-person stories about Texas through the Texas Story Project, because the memories and experiences of Texas people, places, and objects contribute to a better understanding of the generations that came before us.
The Relevance of History
We believe that the exploration of our history nurtures personal and collective identity in a diverse world, that it teaches vital skills, that it is the foundation for strong, vibrant communities, and is a catalyst for economic growth. History helps people envision a better future, inspires leaders, and when saved, preserved, and shared, becomes the legacy from which future generations expand their opportunities for growth in a civil society.
Signature Experiences and Offerings
There is always something new to see and do at the Bullock Museum. Join our newsletter list for updates on signature events:
- Exhibitions - See new artifacts and special exhibitions all year
- H-E-B Free First Sundays
- Feature Films - See new Hollywood films every month
- Texas Artist Series - Experience the intersection of history and the arts
- B Movies & Bad History - View the best (and worst) Texas-centric movies
- High Noon Talks - Explore Texas history through lectures and discussions
- Artifacts - Learn about Texas history through artifacts
- Texas Focus Films - Watch monthly films about Texas with special guests
- World Refugee Day - A cultural celebration with our newest Texas citizens
- American Indian Heritage Day - Celebrate Texas' American Indian communities
- Spooktacular - Spooky science for the whole family
- Blue Star Museums - Free admission all summer for active military
- Science Thursdays - Discover the science of the Story of Texas
- Holiday Sale at the Bullock Museum Store - Members receive deep discounts on gifts