Plan Your Visit
How to have a great Bullock Museum experience.
Your health and safety is our focus.
We're so happy to welcome you back to the Bullock Museum's exhibitions and IMAX® Theatre! The Museum galleries, IMAX® Theatre, and Museum Store are now open. Using the guidelines recommended by national, state and local authorities, we have carefully implemented new safety procedures to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
Please note: The Bullock Museum's hours have changed. Exhibitions are now open Wednesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The IMAX® Theatre is open for documentaries during exhibition hours and for IMAX® feature film showtimes Wednesday through Sunday.
We're doing our part:
- To allow for proper social distancing, we limit the number of visitors in the exhibitions with timed-entry tickets and the number of IMAX® Theatre tickets sold to 25% of the theater's capacity, with seat buffers between each group.
- We provide clear on-site information and signage to help guide you through your experience and encourage healthy behaviors during your visit. Hand sanitizing stations are also available throughout the Museum.
- We clean all areas of the Museum frequently, including exhibitions, restrooms, lobbies, IMAX® Theatre and concessions, Museum Store, and high-touch areas. We thoroughly disinfect all areas every evening after the Museum closes.
- Museum staff wear masks and gloves while interacting with visitors. Whenever possible, physical barriers and low-to-no contact transactions will be in place. All staff work spaces are cleaned regularly and equipped with barriers to ensure social distancing.
- We check our health daily and stay home when sick.
- Touchscreens and other interactive exhibition components are temporarily unavailable to ensure the safety of all visitors.
- We will continue to offer programming for all ages online, providing engaging virtual alternatives to large gatherings. To view the schedule of upcoming programs, please visit our Calendar.
How you can help:
- Stay home if you are sick, feeling unwell, or have any cold symptoms.
- Purchase your tickets online in advance of your visit to help us limit the number of in-person interactions between our staff and visitors as we continue to encourage social distancing. Museum members can reserve their free exhibition timeslots by calling the Membership Reservation Line at (512)936-4689. For more information about timed tickets, please read our FAQ.
- Wear a mask over your nose and mouth (ages 10 and older) during your visit and remain six feet apart from other visitors. Approved masks include cloth masks, disposable masks, N95 or KN95 respirator masks, neck gaiters, bandanas, and scarves. Face shields and masks with valves, holes or mesh are not acceptable for admission. For more information, refer to the University of Texas at Austin's recommended protective face mask guidance fact sheet.
- Limit elevator rides to one family or two visitors, consider restroom capacity before entering, and follow other on-site social distancing directives.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and follow other Everyday Preventive Actions recommended by the CDC. We also encourage you to regularly utilize the hand sanitizer stations throughout the Museum during your visit.
- Refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for updates and recommendations related to the coronavirus.
Monday - Tuesday, closed.
Wednesday - Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Bullock Museum exhibitions are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year's Day. The IMAX® Theatre is closed on select holidays, please check the Museum calendar for details.
Please note: The State of Texas is building a new fully pedestrianized green space between the Bullock Texas State History Museum and the Texas Capitol. The Museum and its parking garage remain open during construction. Since traffic patterns are subject to change, please be advised to allow extra travel time when attending the Museum's timed-entry films and events. More information about the Capitol Complex Master Plan is available online courtesy of the Texas Facilities Commission.
Storage and Safety
During initial phases of Museum reopening, guest lockers will not be available.
The following items are not permitted inside the Bullock Museum or its theaters. In addition to items specifically listed here, other items that may be deemed to present a potential hindrance or threat may also be prohibited.
- Animals (exception for certified service animals)
- Bags, backpacks, and purses larger than 12x12x12 inches
- Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, skates, Segways, or other unauthorized means of transportation
- Chairs and folding tables
- Distribution of unauthorized promotional or commercial material
- Fireworks, explosives, or other incendiary devices
- Food and beverages purchased outside the theater - including alcoholic beverages (Note: packaged snacks purchased at the Museum Store or Café are allowed)
- Glass containers
- Illegal substances or weapons
- Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to guests (aerosol cans, sports equipment, balloons, projectiles, laser pointers, musical instruments, any kind of noise-making or -transmitting equipment, etc.)
- Video cameras, audio recording devices, and tripods; no video recording will be allowed in the theaters - including with iPads and tablets.
The use of tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes, is not permitted in the building.
Visitors age fifteen and younger must be accompanied in the Museum and theaters by someone age sixteen or older.
Personal photography with hand-held equipment is permitted in all exhibition galleries and public spaces with the exception of the IMAX® and Texas Spirit theaters, unless otherwise noted in signage.
Photography requests for media, public relations, or commercial use must be submitted and scheduled through the Museum’s marketing department. Please contact marketing@TheStoryofTexas.com for more information or to submit a request.