Plan Your Visit
How to have a great Bullock Museum experience.
Let history inspire you as you connect with Texas stories told by ever-changing artifacts, rare documents, photographs, and special exhibits. Experience multi-sensory special effects films in the Texas Spirit Theater. Check out the latest blockbuster movies on the biggest screen in Texas in the IMAX® Theatre. Shop for distinctive gifts at the Museum Store and enjoy the eclectic menu and great view at the Story of Texas Café. Don't forget to snap a photo in front of the iconic bronze star on the Lone Star Plaza as a keepsake of your visit.
Your purchase supports the Bullock Museum's exhibitions and educational programming.
Monday - Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
Bullock Museum exhibitions are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year's Day. The IMAX Theatre is closed on select holidays, please check the Museum calendar for details.
Please note: The State of Texas is building a new fully pedestrianized green space between the Bullock Texas State History Museum and the Texas Capitol. The Museum and its parking garage remain open during construction. Since traffic patterns are subject to change, please be advised to allow extra travel time when attending the Museum's timed-entry films and events. More information about the Capitol Complex Master Plan is available online courtesy of the Texas Facilities Commission.
Storage and Safety
For your convenience, lockers are located on the first floor near the restrooms by the Information Desk. Small and large sizes are available. Each locker is completely secure and requires a fifty cent deposit, which is refunded when the key is returned. We encourage you to use the lockers to help avoid mishaps in the galleries and to improve your Museum experience.
The following items are not permitted inside the Bullock Museum or its theaters. In addition to items specifically listed here, other items that may be deemed to present a potential hindrance or threat may also be prohibited.
- Animals (exception for certified service animals)
- Bags, backpacks, and purses larger than 12x12x12 inches
- Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, skates, Segways, or other unauthorized means of transportation
- Chairs and folding tables
- Distribution of unauthorized promotional or commercial material
- Fireworks, explosives, or other incendiary devices
- Food and beverages purchased outside the theater - including alcoholic beverages (Note: packaged snacks purchased at the Museum Store or Café are allowed)
- Glass containers
- Illegal substances or weapons
- Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to guests (aerosol cans, sports equipment, balloons, projectiles, laser pointers, musical instruments, any kind of noise-making or -transmitting equipment, etc.)
- Video cameras, audio recording devices, and tripods; no video recording will be allowed in the theaters - including with iPads and tablets.
The use of tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes, is not permitted in the building.
Visitors age fifteen and younger must be accompanied in the Museum and theaters by someone age sixteen or older.
Personal photography with hand-held equipment is permitted in all exhibition galleries and public spaces with the exception of the IMAX® and Texas Spirit theaters, unless otherwise noted in signage.
Photography requests for media, public relations, or commercial use must be submitted and scheduled through the Museum’s marketing department. Please contact marketing@TheStoryofTexas.com for more information or to submit a request.