Plan Your Visit
How to have a great Bullock Museum experience.
We're happy to welcome you to the Bullock Museum! Discover three floors of dynamic exhibitions, two innovative and immersive theaters, unique gifts in the Museum Store, and a fresh menu in The Star Cafe. The health and safety of visitors remains our top priority, and we continue to implement recommended safety guidelines.
Monday - Tuesday, closed.
Wednesday - Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Bullock Museum exhibitions are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Easter. The IMAX® Theatre is closed on select holidays, please check the Museum calendar for details.
Please note: The State of Texas is building a new fully pedestrianized green space between the Bullock Texas State History Museum and the Texas Capitol. The Museum and its parking garage remain open during construction. Since traffic patterns are subject to change, please be advised to allow extra travel time when attending the Museum's timed-entry films and events. More information about the Capitol Complex Master Plan is available online courtesy of the Texas Facilities Commission.
Health and Safety
- To allow for social distancing, we encourage visitors to purchase tickets for exhibitions and IMAX® Theatre and Texas Spirit Theater showtimes online in advance, but it is not required. Please limit elevator rides to one family or two visitors, consider restroom capacity before entering, and follow other onsite social distancing directives. Masks are encouraged but not required, due to current state mandates.
- We provide clear on-site information and signage to help guide you through your experience and encourage healthy behaviors, including washing your hands for at least 20 seconds, during your visit. Hand sanitizing stations are also available throughout the Museum.
- We clean all areas of the Museum frequently, including exhibitions, restrooms, lobbies, IMAX® Theatre and concessions, Texas Spirit Theater, Museum Store, and high-touch areas.
- We encourage staff and visitors to follow all applicable CDC guidelines for mask wearing and social distancing. Whenever possible, physical barriers and low-to-no contact transactions are in place. All staff workspaces are cleaned regularly and equipped with barriers to ensure social distancing.
- We check staff health daily and stay home when sick. We ask that you stay home if you are feeling unwell or have cold symptoms.
- Museum members do not need to reserve exhibition admission in advance but can reach out to the Membership team with questions by calling (512)936-4689. For more information, please read our FAQ.
- For more information, refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for updates and recommendations related to the coronavirus. Learn more about Vaccines&Us from the Smithsonian.
- The Museum continues to provide engaging experiences for all ages through online programming. To view the schedule of upcoming programs, please visit our Calendar.
For your convenience, lockers are located on the first floor near the restrooms by the Information Desk. Small and large sizes are available. Each locker is completely secure and requires a fifty-cent deposit, which is refunded when the key is returned. We encourage you to use the lockers to help avoid mishaps in the galleries and to improve your Museum experience.
The following items are not permitted inside the Bullock Museum or its theaters. In addition to items specifically listed here, other items that may be deemed to present a potential hindrance or threat may also be prohibited.
- Animals (exception for certified service animals)
- Bags, backpacks, and purses larger than 12x12x12 inches
- Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, skates, Segways, or other unauthorized means of transportation
- Chairs and folding tables
- Distribution of unauthorized promotional or commercial material
- Fireworks, explosives, or other incendiary devices
- Food and beverages are not allowed in the exhibition galleries.
- Outside food and beverages are not permitted in the IMAX® Theatre. Food can be purchased at Concessions in the IMAX® lobby. Food is not permitted in the Texas Spirit Theater.
- Glass containers
- Illegal substances or weapons
- Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to guests (aerosol cans, sports equipment, balloons, projectiles, laser pointers, musical instruments, any kind of noise-making or -transmitting equipment, etc.)
- Video cameras, audio recording devices, and tripods; no video recording will be allowed in the theaters - including with iPads and tablets.
The use of tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes, is not permitted in the building.
Visitors age fifteen and younger must be accompanied in the Museum and theaters by someone age sixteen or older.
Personal photography with hand-held equipment is permitted in all exhibition galleries and public spaces with the exception of the IMAX® and Texas Spirit theaters, unless otherwise noted in signage.
Photography requests for media, public relations, or commercial use must be submitted and scheduled through the Museum’s marketing department. Please contact marketing@TheStoryofTexas.com for more information or to submit a request.