Celebrating community, culture, and Texas history
Large-scale events that highlight the best of Texas and its people.
Join us for celebrations, competitions, and community festivals that let you explore the diversity, uniqueness, and talent found in Texas. Check the calendar of events for programming information.
- H-E-B Free First Sundays: Bring the family on the first Sunday of every month for free exhibition admission and special activities and programs.
- World Refugee Day: Commemorate the United Nations' World Refugee Day with a naturalization ceremony, free samples of world cuisine, live music, and family activities.
- American Indian Heritage Day: Celebrate our community's Indigenous cultures through dancing and drumming performances, storytelling, and hands-on activities.
- The Big Squeeze Accordion Contest: Attend the best youth squeezebox competition and concert. Texas top young accordion players compete in polka, Cajun, zydeco, and conjunto, and master accordion players showcase these Texas accordion traditions.
- Austin Museum Day: Participate in this city-wide community event by visiting museums throughout Austin. Enjoy free exhibition admission and special programs during the day.
- Texas History Day: Appreciate and applaud student-created history exhibits, performances, documentaries, and media presentations, as they compete in the finals of the statewide history competition.
- Poetry Out Loud: Listen to the best student orators in Texas competing for the opportunity to take part in national poetry recitation finals.