October 11, 2018 10:00am - 2:00pm
Enjoy a FREE day full of discovery and learning at the Bullock Museum reserved specifically for homeschool families.
Participate in hands-on activities and special classes exploring color and movement inspired by special exhibitions, Comanche Motion: The Art of Eric Tippeconnic and Rodeo! The Exhibition. Museum admission is free for homeschool families on this date and school group rates for films in the IMAX® Theatre and Texas Spirit Theatre are available from 9:00am-5:00pm.
Attend scheduled activities and paid classes
- 10-11am: Join us with your 2-5 year olds at Little Texans and saddle up as we gallop through the exhibits and learn how to care for a cowboy and cowgirl's best friend - their horse!
- 10am-12pm: Participate in special paid classes for a more in-depth look at various topics.
- Buy tickets to see IMAX documentaries Amazon Adventure, Conquest of the Skies, and Flight of the Butterflies.
Drop-in anytime between 10:00am-2:00pm for activities, resources, and exhibits.
- Get creative with a found object challenge exploring color and movement.
- Explore Museum exhibits with educational activity guides.
- Engage in conversation and interact with hands-on objects in Museum exhibits.
- Pick up resources to supplement your at-home curriculum provided by the Bullock Museum, Austin Public Library, Great Promise for American Indians and KLRU-PBS.
- Visit special exhibitions Comanche Motion: The Art of Eric Tippeconnic and Rodeo! The Exhibition.
- Make a "magic wallet" using traditional bookbinding materials and techniques with Austin Book Arts Center and learn about workshop offerings and outreach opportunities.
Hands-on classes taught by museum educators and partner organizations give your students an opportunity to spend more time exploring topics that relate to STEAM learning and inspired by special exhibitions, Comanche Motion: The Art of Eric Tippeconnic and Rodeo! The Exhibition.
By popular demand, reserve a seat in a class in advance for a small fee. Space is limited in each class and reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To allow as many students as possible access to these unique learning opportunities, we ask that you choose only one class for your student or students to attend. Tickets are required only for students, not adults. All classes are $4 per student. Class information and tickets below.
Lights … Color … Action by Mad Science - Uncover the hidden components in ordinary light and see Newton’s color wheel turn a rainbow of colors into one. Attend a spectacular chemical energy display! This class is appropriate for students ages 6-12 and lasts one hour.
Dynamic Drums by Artly World and Great Promise for American Indians - Craft a unique hand drum out of everyday materials while learning about the importance of music to American Indian culture. See a modern-day powwow drum up close and discover how the drum is integral to powwow celebrations. This class is appropriate for students ages 8 and up and lasts one hour.
Moving Motion by Mad Science – Catapult into Newton’s three laws of motion! Perform hands-on experiments to investigate friction, inertia, motion and forces. Twirl into action with the Newton Spinner and continue the fun at home. This class is appropriate for students ages 6-12 and lasts one hour.
Colorful Canvases - Create bold and colorful mini canvases inspired by the art in Comanche Motion: The Art of Eric Tippeconnic. Discover what artistic techniques and tools the artist uses to create his large-scale paintings. Use paint pens, pastels, tape, and more to create a unique work of art. This class is appropriate for students ages 8 and up and lasts one hour.
Support for the Bullock Museum's exhibitions and education programs provided by the Texas State History Museum Foundation.