Comanche Motion: The Art of Eric Tippeconnic
Bold canvases show Comanche culture vibrantly alive in the modern world
Comanche Motion: The Art of Eric Tippeconnic tells the story of a thriving Comanche culture rooted in the past but evolving toward the future. Co-curated by Comanche artist and historian Eric Tippeconnic, the exhibition blends the past with the present to honor the Comanche people.
Filled with symbolism and meaning, Tippeconnic's paintings highlight the strength, beauty, and grace of the Comanche past and present. The paintings are rich with history and the unbroken connection the Comanche people have with their roots, but they are not romanticized or stagnant expressions of a bygone era. Rather, Tippeconnic's art is full of movement, color, and life — a bold statement that Comanche culture is vibrantly alive in the modern world.
Inside the Exhibition
The subject matter in my paintings often moves between contemporary imagery and those from previous historical eras. The vibrancy of colors and movement of the Comanche people serve as metaphors for a people that are both part of a bygone historical era and also a living, thriving, contemporary nation. Eric Tippeconnic
The exhibition features 34 artworks by Tippeconnic paired with historical Comanche artifacts, a juxtaposition that shows the inspiration for the artworks, as well as the historical evidence that underscores the rich heritage of the Comanche people.
Immerse yourself in Tippeconnic's daily life and artistic process with family photographs, a behind-the-scenes video, and a soundtrack of songs he listens to while painting.
Throughout the exhibition, look for opportunities to engage with the stories found in the exhibit. You can:
- Grab a game board and look for symbols found in paintings
- Discover the conventional and unconventional tools that artist Eric Tippeconnic uses when he paints
- Touch sample canvases that help you understand the progression from bare canvas to finished piece of art
- Explore the materials used by Comanches to make regalia
- Sit down at our interactive table and make a pattern based on the artifacts found in the exhibition
Select Artifacts On View in the Exhibition
- Comanche Cradleboard
- Comanche Motion, Acrylic on Canvas by Eric Tippeconnic
- Comanche Woman, Acrylic on Canvas by Eric Tippeconnic
- The Chairman, Acrylic on Canvas by Eric Tippeconnic
- One, Acrylic on Canvas by Eric Tippeconnic
- Comanche Mother, Acrylic on canvas by Eric Tippeconic
- Comanche War Bonnet
Support for the Bullock Museum's exhibitions and education programs is provided by the Texas State History Museum Foundation.
At the museum: 04/14/2018 - 01/02/2019