Horseshoe from Fort Griffin
Fort Griffin defended settlers and stagecoaches from Comanche and Kiowa
The U.S. Army withdrew from Texas during the Civil War, leaving frontier defense up to the local settlers. When federal troops returned to the state starting in 1867, they occupied some of the forts that had been built before the war as well as newly constructed sites. Camp Wilson (soon renamed Fort Griffin) was built on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River near present-day Throckmorton. This area was the site of some of the bloodiest raids ever carried out by the Comanche and Kiowa on the Anglo-American settlements, as well as some of the fiercest battles between U.S. troops and American Indian warriors.
In addition to providing protection for the settlers, the fort provided support services for local civilian militia and for wagon trains taking settlers west. This horseshoe was forged in the blacksmith shop at Fort Griffin. The blacksmith shop was one of the fort's most important businesses. The two forges there manufactured hardware and parts for wagon repair as well as horseshoes.
Fort Griffin State Historical Site, Texas Historical Commission
5" Length X 5'4" Width X 1 1/4" Depth
This artifact is not on view.