March 29, 2024 10:00am - 5:00pm
Enjoy a FREE day full of discovery and learning for homeschool families at the Bullock Museum.
Explore Texas art and art history at the Bullock Museum this spring and celebrate Youth Art Month by enjoying works of art created by students across the state. Join us in hands-on activities and special art-related classes that showcase different types of art and artists with Texas roots at this special Homeschool Day.
Program is free for homeschool families. Discounted school group rates for films in the IMAX® Theatre and Texas Spirit Theater are available from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; film tickets may be purchased in advance online and at the Museum on Homeschool Day. Check in at the table in the Grand Lobby upon arrival. Directions and parking information can be found here.
Attend special hands-on activities between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Participate in special paid classes with community partners and Museum Educators for a more in-depth look at various topics about different art and artists in Texas.
- Engage in conversation with Museum Educators and interact with hands-on objects in Museum exhibitions.
- Visit the special exhibition Youth Art Month and explore the work of some of the best young artists in Texas.
- Experience hands-on activities about art and art history in Texas, make your own art, and discover what it’s like to work as an artist.
- Buy tickets to see IMAX® documentaries Deep Sky, Secrets of the Sea, Fungi: The Web of Life, and Train Time and tickets to the Texas Spirit Theater films Shipwrecked and Star of Destiny.
- Explore Museum exhibitions with educational activity guides.
Hands-on classes give your students an opportunity to spend more time exploring topics that relate to Texas art.
Classes are $10 per student. Accompanying adults do not need tickets. Due to demand and class capacity reservations are recommended. On the morning of Homeschool Day, online class registration will close, but tickets can be purchased at the Museum while available. Class information and tickets below.
Paint a Polish Easter Egg | 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
(recommended for all ages)
Discover the beautiful history of pisanki and how Polish Texans maintained the tradition of painting beautiful Easter Eggs every spring. Paint your own wooden Polish Easter Egg. Participants can choose between a flat, wooden egg (recommended for beginners) or a round wooden egg (recommended for more advanced artists).
Yarn Over and Pull Through | 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
(recommended for ages 8+)
Discover the vibrant history of textile arts in Texas. Get ready to learn the basic skills of crochet! Students will walk away with their very own skein of yarn, hook, and the skills to create the basic granny square, a great design for beginners.
School Programs are generously funded by Featured sponsor The Marie M. and James H. Galloway Foundation, Supporting sponsor The Lange Family Foundation, and Contributing sponsors Bella and Chase Cooley, Dian Graves Owen Foundation, and Roger and Marianne Staubach.
The Bullock Museum, a division of the Texas State Preservation Board, is funded by Museum members, donors, and patrons, the Texas State History Museum Foundation, and the State of Texas.