King Ranch "Running W" Branding Iron
Classic brand was registered in 1869
Texas has a Texas-sized reputation when it comes to the livestock industry.
Many Texas ranches that began in the late 19th century are still in business. Many of the ranches and their brands have become legendary. This is the branding iron of the King Ranch, located near present-day Kingsville. The enormous ranch was founded in 1852 by Richard King and Gideon K. Lewis, and covered land in Nueces, Kenedy, Kleberg, and Willacy counties. On February 9, 1869, the "Running W" was registered as the official brand of King Ranch.
King Ranch, Kingsville
38 1/2" Length x 5" Width
This artifact is not on view.