January 11, 2023 10:00am - 5:00pm
Enjoy a FREE day full of discovery and learning at the Bullock Museum reserved specifically for homeschool families.
Connect with dinosaurs and paleontology at this special Homeschool Day! Explore life science, fossils, and minerals and practice your archeologist skills as we focus on the IMAX® documentary film, Dinosaurs of Antarctica. This film follows scientists as they uncover the secrets of the plants and animals of the prehistoric world of Antarctica.
Museum admission is free for homeschool families and RSVPs are not required. Discounted school group rates for films in the IMAX® Theatre and Texas Spirit Theatre are available from 10:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.; film tickets may be purchased in advance online and at the Museum on Homeschool Day. Check in at the table in the Grand Lobby upon arrival. Information about directions and parking can be found here.
Attend scheduled activities and paid classes
- 10:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. Participate in special paid classes with Mad Science for a more in-depth look at rock formations. See below for details and registration
- 1:00 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. Join Waco Mammoth National Monument for a virtual program livestreamed in the Texas Spirit Theater. Students will join a park ranger in the dig pit at the park and use their observation skills to learn what stories are told in the fossil remains as they help solve The Great Mammoth Mystery
- 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Join Austin Public Library in storytimes that include books, songs, dancing, and guitar music. Take home a free book and sign up for a library card at Austin Public Library's Bookmobile
- Buy tickets to see IMAX documentaries The Arctic: Our Last Great Wilderness, Dinosaurs of Antarctica, and Serengeti and tickets to the Texas Spirit Theater films Shipwrecked and Star of Destiny
Drop in anytime between 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. for activities, resources, and exhibitions
- Explore the adaptations that helped Pterosaurs fly and investigate the wingspans of different dinosaurs as you create a glider with Girlstart
- Put on your archeologist hat and hone your paleontology skills as you visit the Excavation Lab and excavate dinosaur and mammal bones from ice and sand landforms
- Discover the details of prehistoric fossils with the Texas Memorial Museum
- Explore Museum exhibitions with educational activity guides and hands-on Discovery Centers
- Pick up educator resources to supplement your at-home curriculum provided by the Bullock Museum and community partners
Mineral Mania with Mad Science: Students will recreate the process of rock formation and devise ways to identify and classify rocks and minerals. They will experience the thrill of panning for gems, which they can take home for further study and investigation.
By popular demand, reserve a seat in a class in advance for a small fee. Space is limited in each class and reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Tickets are required only for students, not for accompanying adults. All classes are $10 per student. On the morning of Homeschool Day, online class registration will close, but tickets can be purchased at the Museum while available.
School Programs are generously funded by Featured Sponsor The Marie M. and James H. Galloway Foundation and contributing sponsor The Honorable Kent R. Hance.
The Bullock Museum, a division of the Texas State Preservation Board, is funded by Museum members, donors, and patrons, the Texas State History Museum Foundation, and the State of Texas.