February 16, 2022 10:00am - 5:00pm
Enjoy a FREE day full of discovery and learning at the Bullock Museum reserved specifically for homeschool families.
Participate in hands-on activities and special STEM classes. Museum admission is free for homeschool families on this date and discounted school group rates for films in the IMAX® Theatre and Texas Spirit Theatre are available from 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Check this website for updates on details, schedule, and class info.
Attend scheduled activities and paid classes
- 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. - Participate in special paid classes with Mad Science for a more in-depth look at various topics. See below for details and registration.
- 1:00 p.m. - Watch as The Physics Circus from The University of Texas at Austin demonstrates some of the cool things you can do with your knowledge of science. In roughly an hour of thrilling demonstrations, we cover heat, motion, states of matter, properties of air, and electricity.
- Buy tickets to see IMAX documentaries Wings Over Water and Superpower Dogs.
Drop-in anytime between 10:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. for activities, resources, and exhibitions
- Explore Museum exhibitions with educational activity guides.
- Engage in conversation and interact with hands-on objects in Museum exhibitions.
- Pick up resources to supplement your at-home curriculum provided by the Bullock Museum and community partners, including Travis Audubon Society and Austin Nature and Science Center.
- Visit special exhibition Mystery and Benevolence to explore the fascinating symbolism and imagery associated with Masonic and Odd Fellows folk art.
Hands-on classes taught by Mad Science give your students an opportunity to spend more time exploring topics that relate to STEM learning.
By popular demand, reserve a seat in a class in advance for a small fee. Space is limited in each class and reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To allow as many students as possible access to these unique learning opportunities, we ask that you choose only one class for your student or students to attend. Tickets are required only for students, not adults. All classes are $10 per student. Class information and tickets below.
- 10:30 a.m. - Fantastic Flyers: Discover how birds soar as you experiment with the physics of flight. Build a glider, control surfaces and your very own loop-flying stunt plane. The Wright Brothers would be proud as we follow in their footsteps and learn the fundamental principles of flight. This class is appropriate for students six and older and lasts one hour.
- 11:30 a.m. - Mad Messages: It is time for spy science! Explore different ways that secret messages can be sent and received. Experiment with Morse code, create disappearing messages and build your very own secret code wheel. This class is appropriate for students five and older and lasts one hour.
Family programs provide educational and engaging activities for young Texans and their caregivers. Events are designed to bring families together, spark conversations and provide opportunities for growth and development.
The Bullock Museum, a division of the Texas State Preservation Board, is funded by Museum members, donors, and patrons, the Texas State History Museum Foundation, and the State of Texas.