Lake Murvaul Segregation Sign
1950s sign shows the lingering practice of segregation in Texas public places
When the Lake Murvaul park in east Texas Panola County opened to the public in the summer of 1958, it was among the many public facilities in Texas still segregated despite the 1954 Brown v. the Board of Education Supreme Court ruling which declared "separate but equal" facilities to be unconstitutional. This sign indicated the segregated area of the park. By the late 1960s, Lake Marvaul Park was no longer segregated.
George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, Austin
24" Height x 80" Width
This artifact is currently on view.