The Big Squeeze Accordion Contest and Concert
April 22, 2017 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Hear squeezebox greats young and old at this afternoon outdoor concert.
Watch the next generation of accordion players compete for three grand prizes in polka, zydeco, and conjunto accordion traditions at the 11th Annual Big Squeeze Accordion Contest.
Following the competition, enjoy a free concert featuring some of the best accordionists across the state, including conjunto masters Rio Jordan from San Antonio, Houston zydeco powerhouse Ruben Paul Moreno, and the ever-popular Cajun sounds of the Gulf Coast Playboys.
The Big Squeeze Contest and Texas Folklife strive to represent the state's geographic and cultural diversity. Since 2007, 182 young musicians from more than 32 Texas towns and cities have participated. Past and current contestants represent communities across the state, including the Rio Grande Valley, Houston and Beaumont-area, Greater Dallas Area, San Antonio, Lubbock, the Permian Basin and more!
The finalists in the Cajun/Zydeco category are:
- Steven Williams, age 13, Humble
- Donovan Bourque, age 16, Beaumont
- Chloe Johnson, age 16, Moscow
The finalists in Polka are:
- Mason Nesvadba, age 20, Guy
- Robert Suttie, age 17, Meadows Place
- Charlie Bubenik, age 16, Meadows Place.
The finalists in the Conjunto category are:
- Luis Gonzalez, age 21, Grand Prairie
- Jesus F. Venegas, age 20, Brownsville
- Paul Resendez, age 17, Mission
- Ricky G. Casarez, age 12, Houston
Congratulations to all of the finalists and contestants, who are helping to keep the accordion tradition alive in Texas!
Support for the Bullock Museum's exhibitions and education programs provided by the Texas State History Museum Foundation.