Texas Artist Series: Her Texas
February 23, 2016 7:00pm - 8:30pm
The stories of women pioneers, ranchers, fighters, outlaws, and entrepreneurs were seldom told and rarely recorded.
Over the generations, Texas has long been a source of myths and tall tales celebrating individualism, toughness, and the pioneer spirit. Unfortunately, few of the primary characters depicted in state lore were female. The anthology Her Texas: Story, Image, Poem & Song aims to change that trend. Join us as anthology authors, poets, and artists tell their own stories and stories of other Texas women in their own words.
The evening will include a panel presentation by several anthology contributors as well as musical performances. The program will be followed by a reception and book signing.
Musical performances by:
- Sarah Bird, novelist and screenwriter, panel moderator
- Christine Albert, songwriter
- Susie Kelly Flatau, artist and writer
- Donna Johnson, memoirist
- Diana Lopez, novelist
- Celeste Mendoza, poet
- Karla K. Morton, 2010 Poet Laureate of Texas
- Deana Newcomb, photographer
- Ysabel de la Rosa, poet and photographer
- Carmen Tafolla, 2015 Poet Laureate of Texas
- Kathy Vargas, artist and photographer
- Loretta Diane Walker, poet
Educators: To receive CPE credit, please email Education@thestoryoftexas.com
Support for the Bullock Museum's exhibitions and education programs provided by the Texas State History Museum Foundation.