February 22, 2018 10:00am - 2:00pm
Enjoy a FREE day full of discovery and learning at the Bullock Museum reserved specifically for homeschool families.
Participate in hands-on activities and special classes geared toward STEM learning and inspired by IMAX® documentary Dream Big: Engineering Our World. Museum admission is free for homeschool families on this date and school group rates for films in the IMAX® Theatre and Texas Spirit Theatre are available from 9:00am-5:00pm
Attend scheduled activities and paid classes
- 10:00-11:00am: Join us with your 2-5 year olds at for Storytime and Dream Big as we read about inspiring people who dreamed big dreams!
- 10:00am-12:00pm: Participate in special paid classes for a more in-depth look at various topics.
- 10:00am or 12:00pm: Buy tickets to see Dream Big: Engineering Our World in the IMAX.
- 12:30pm: Daniel G. Benes Science Shows! Amazing old-school and state-of-the-art stage demonstrations of chemistry, physics, and hair-raising high-voltage electricity, mixed with working scientific antiques. Serious scientific fun!"
Drop-in anytime between 10:00am-2:00pm for activities, resources, and exhibits
- Challenge yourself to build a found object skyscraper using limited supplies.
- Explore Museum exhibits with educational activity guides.
- Engage in conversation and interact with hands-on objects in Museum exhibits.
- Pick up resources to supplement your at-home curriculum provided by the Bullock Museum, Austin Public Library and KLRU-PBS.
- Visit special exhibition Pong to Pokémon: The Evolution of Electronic Gaming before it closes on March 18.
Hands-on classes taught by museum educators and partner organizations give your students an opportunity to spend more time exploring topics that relate to STEAM learning and inspired by IMAX documentary Dream Big: Engineering Our World.
By popular demand, reserve a seat in a class in advance for a small fee. Space is limited in each class and reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To allow as many students as possible access to these unique learning opportunities, we ask that you choose only one class for your student or students to attend. Tickets are required only for students, not adults. All classes are $4 per student. Class information and tickets below.
10:00am Super Structures by Mad Science - Discover the strengths of triangles, cylinders and arches. Learn how combinations of these shapes make for sturdy homes and skyscrapers! Use teamwork to build your own super structures as well as an earthquake-proof building. This class is appropriate for students ages 6-12 and lasts one hour.
This class is SOLD OUT
10:00am Design a Wind Turbine: Students will investigate how engineers harness the power of the wind to create a form of renewable energy-wind energy. Students will design a wind turbine, try out blade designs on a windmill, and test to see if it is powerful enough. This class is appropriate for students ages 8 and up and lasts 50 minutes.
11:00am: Invention-ation by Mad Science – Learn about one type of scientist called an inventor. Begin with Rube Goldberg and move on to other famous inventors. Create your own invention. This class is appropriate for students ages 6-12 and lasts one hour.
This class is SOLD OUT
11:00am: Design a Wind Turbine: Students will investigate how engineers harness the power of the wind to create a form of renewable energy-wind energy. Students will design a wind turbine, try out blade designs on a windmill, and test to see if it is powerful enough. This class is appropriate for students ages 8 and up and lasts 50 minutes.
The Bullock Museum is owned and operated by the State of Texas through the State Preservation Board. Additional support of exhibitions and programs is provided by the Museum's nonprofit partner, the Texas State History Museum Foundation.