November 17, 2021 10:00am - 5:00pm
Enjoy a FREE day full of discovery and learning at the Bullock Museum reserved specifically for homeschool families.
Participate in hands-on activities and special STEM classes. Museum admission is free for homeschool families on this date and school group rates for films in the IMAX® Theatre and Texas Spirit Theatre are available from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Attend scheduled activities and paid classes
- 10:30 a.m.–12:45 p.m.: Participate in special paid classes for a more in-depth look at various topics.
- Buy tickets to see IMAX® documentaries Into America's Wild and Superpower Dogs.
Drop-in anytime between 10:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. for activities, resources, and exhibitions
- Explore Museum exhibitions with educational activity guides.
- Join us and create one-of-a-kind balancing sculptures using recycled materials.
- Engage in conversation and interact with hands-on objects in Museum exhibitions.
- Pick up resources to supplement your at-home curriculum provided by the Bullock Museum, Mariposas Spanish School for Kids, and Heartsong Music.
- Visit special exhibition Black Citizenship in the Age of Jim Crow.
- Join Austin Public Library for Storytime at 10:30, 11:30, and 12:30. Pick up a free book (while supplies last) and learn how the library can support homeschool learners. Did you know that any student in Travis County can now get a free library card? Here’s how https://library.austintexas.gov/mylibrarycard.
Hands-on classes taught by Mad Science give your students an opportunity to spend more time exploring topics that relate to STEM learning.
By popular demand, reserve a seat in a class in advance for a small fee. Space is limited in each class and reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To allow as many students as possible access to these unique learning opportunities, we ask that you choose only one class for your student or students to attend. Tickets are required only for students, not adults. All classes are $10 per student. Class information and tickets below.
- 10:30 a.m. - Dry Ice Capades: Manipulate matter in all of its three states! Melt metal in boiling water and freeze water with just a breath of dry ice! Use your Thermocolor Cup™ to test the temperature of liquid matter in your home! This class is appropriate for students 5-12 years old and lasts one hour.
- 11:45 a.m. - Matter of Fact: Students explore molecules and the forces that hold atoms together. They see the dramatic differences between physical and chemical changes, as they mix up a batch of their very own Mad Science Putty to take home. This class is appropriate for students 8-12 years old and lasts one hour.
Family programs provide educational and engaging activities for young Texans and their caregivers. Events are designed to bring families together, spark conversations and provide opportunities for growth and development.
The Bullock Texas State History Museum is a division the State Preservation Board. Additional support of exhibitions and programs is provided by the Texas State History Museum Foundation.