February 13, 2020 10:00am - 2:00pm
Enjoy a FREE day full of discovery and learning at the Bullock Museum reserved specifically for homeschool families.
Participate in hands-on activities and special classes all about cowboys and space inspired by Texas history. Museum admission is free for homeschool families on this date and school group rates for films in the IMAX® Theatre and Texas Spirit Theatre are available from 9:00am-5:00pm.
Attend scheduled activities and paid classes
- 10-11am: Join us with your 2-5 year olds at Little Texans to gallop, jump, dance, and spin your way through the museum.
- 10am-12pm: Participate in special paid classes for a more in-depth look at various topics.
- Buy tickets to see IMAX documentaries America's Musical Journey, Apollo 11: First Steps Edition, and Turtle Odyssey 3D
Drop-in anytime between 10:00am-2:00pm for activities, resources, and exhibits.
- Get creative with a found object catapulting challenge.
- Explore Museum exhibits with educational activity guides.
- Engage in conversation and interact with hands-on objects in Museum exhibits.
- Pick up resources to supplement your at-home curriculum provided by the Bullock Museum, Austin Public Library, and Champions Westlake.
- Visit special exhibition Fashion Forward.
Hands-on classes taught by museum educators and partner organizations give your students an opportunity to spend more time exploring topics that relate to STEM learning.
By popular demand, reserve a seat in a class in advance for a small fee. Space is limited in each class and reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To allow as many students as possible access to these unique learning opportunities, we ask that you choose only one class for your student or students to attend. Tickets are required only for students, not adults. All classes are $4 per student. Class information and tickets below.
10:00AM: Detective Science by Mad Science - Discover how science is used to solve real crimes! Watch as the classroom is transformed into a crime lab for this exciting exploration of the fundamentals of forensics. Children will even take home their very own Personal Profiler. It’s so much fun, it’s criminal! This class is appropriate for students ages 5 and older and lasts one hour.
10:00AM: Beginning Gymnastics by Champions Westlake - Get moving in a beginning gymnastics class that offers students the opportunity to learn new gymnastics skills in a safe, dynamic environment. Have fun learning and practicing with trained instructors. This class is appropriate for students 5 to 7 years old and lasts 45 minutes.
11:00AM: Energy Burst by Mad Science - Explore the energy of motion (potential versus kinetic energy), and how energy can be conserved. Spring into action with poppers, boinks, and jumping frogs. Build your own catapult to take home. This class is appropriate for students ages 5 and older and lasts one hour.
11:00AM: Beginning Gymnastics by Champions Westlake - Get moving in a beginning gymnastics class that offers students the opportunity to learn new gymnastics skills in a safe, dynamic environment. Have fun learning and practicing with trained instructors. This class is appropriate for students 8 years and older and lasts 45 minutes.
The Bullock Texas State History Museum is a division the State Preservation Board. Additional support of exhibitions and programs is provided by the Texas State History Museum Foundation.