H-E-B Free First Sunday
February 4, 2024 10:00am - 5:00pm
Celebrate Black History Month with storytelling, crafts, and hands-on activities for kids of all ages.
Enjoy FREE exhibition admission all day during H-E-B Free First Sundays, held the first Sunday of every month. Activities are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Families can explore the Story of Texas through three floors of exhibitions that showcase and tell the history of artifacts from around the state.
- Create a collaborative quilt-inspired paper collage inspired by Art Galleries at Black Studies’ exhibition Wave Patterns by artist Michael Booker
- Explore important Black figures in American history in a display of historical Black dolls and artifacts with Cathy Runnels
- Join our friends at Girlstart for interactive STEM demos and hands-on activities for kids of all ages
- 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. - Join Elizabeth Kahura for an exploration of African geography, clothing, cultures, languages, and lifestyles through interactive stories and songs
- 11:30 a.m. & 12:30 a.m. - Participate in Austin Public Library's Art Smart program, Echoes of Africa. Enjoy this special program featuring music, dancing, drumming, shadow puppetry, folktales, and mask-making
Art Galleries at Black Studies (AGBS) at The University of Texas at Austin is a collecting institution whose mission is to acquire, preserve, interpret, exhibit, and otherwise make accessible modern and contemporary art and cultural materials from Africa and the African Diaspora for the benefit of a variety of audiences. AGBS includes two principal galleries—Christian-Green Gallery and Idea Lab. AGBS is open to all, free of charge, and committed to inviting diverse audiences to engage in art and visual culture.
Family programs provide educational and engaging activities for young Texans and their caregivers. Events are designed to bring families together, spark conversations and provide opportunities for growth and development.
Your Support Matters
Help us continue to share the story of Texas through free programs with a tax-deductible donation.
Enjoy discounts, exclusive programs, and free access to exhibitions year-round by becoming a member of the Bullock Museum.
The Bullock Museum, a division of the Texas State Preservation Board, is funded by Museum members, donors, and patrons, the Texas State History Museum Foundation, and the State of Texas.
H-E-B Free First Sundays Presented by