H-E-B Free First Sunday
February 5, 2023 10:00am - 5:00pm
Celebrate Black History Month with storytelling, crafts and hands-on activities for kids of all ages, and FREE exhibition Admission.
Enjoy FREE exhibition admission all day during H-E-B Free First Sundays, held the first Sunday of every month. Activities are from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Families can explore the Story of Texas through three floors of exhibitions that showcase artifacts from around the state.
Take a seat for a performance by Austin Public Library's Art Smart program, Echoes of Africa, at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Enjoy this special program featuring music, dancing, drumming, shadow puppetry, folktales, and mask-making.
Join us for free screenings of When I Rise, the documentary about Barbara Smith Conrad, a gifted Black opera student at the University of Texas who was thrust into a civil-rights storm that changed her life forever. Click here for more information and to reserve a free ticket.
- 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Enjoy Echoes of Africa with Austin Public Library in the Museum classrooms
- 11:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Watch When I Rise in the Texas Spirit Theater
- Make an airplane with the Bullock Museum to honor Bessie Coleman, a Texan, and the first Black woman to earn a pilot's license
- Meet a living history Buffalo Soldier from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and learn about what their lives were like 150 years ago
- Land on the moon with Girl Start! In honor of Katherine Johnson, the mathematician who helped Apollo 11 land on the moon, design and build a shock-absorbing moon lander that will protect two "astronauts" from crashing when they land
- Work on a literacy activity with the Greater Austin Reading Coalition
- Connect with volunteers from African American Youth Harvest Foundation and learn about their work in Central Texas
Family programs provide educational and engaging activities for young Texans and their caregivers. Events are designed to bring families together, spark conversations and provide opportunities for growth and development.
Your Support Matters
Help us continue to share the story of Texas through free programs with a tax-deductible donation.
Enjoy discounts, exclusive programs, and free access to exhibitions year-round by becoming a member of the Bullock Museum.
The Bullock Museum, a division of the Texas State Preservation Board, is funded by Museum members, donors, and patrons, the Texas State History Museum Foundation, and the State of Texas.
H-E-B Free First Sundays Presented by