Texas Theater Sign
Texas Theater brought Hollywood to Sherman
Let's all go to the movies! This neon sign adorned the front of the Texas Theater in Sherman for over forty years.
The theater was built in 1931 by a Dallas corporation, Robb and Rowley Theatres, that owned and operated over 150 drive-ins and theatres in 34 towns in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. For a brief period in the early 1930s, the Texas Theater was owned by billionaire Howard Hughes, who had a love for cinema along with his many other passions. By the 1940s, when this sign was added, the Robb and Rowley corporation had regained ownership of the theater. The Texas Theater continued operation through the early 1970s. It was demolished in 1988.
In memory of three bright stars who lit up North Texas skies: Cindi Smith Sanders, Everette N. Sanders, and R. C. Slagle, Jr. Given by their children and others who loved them; Alexis Leigh Sanders, Rebecca Lauren Sanders, and Lisa Arden Sanders; Roger D.
This artifact is not on view.