Kids and Families
A place for every member of the family, from small to tall.
Adults and children can explore the Story of Texas together. From fun family programs to one-of-a-kind artifacts, the Bullock Museum is the best place to experience Texas.
Tips for Your Visit
- Experience the Story of Texas through exhibitions, artifacts, films, family activities and programs, and much more.
- With the Texas History Galleries and a varied program schedule, there's always something new to see and do.
- Before you visit, talk to your kids about what they might see. Been before? Share a favorite memory to remind your children of where you're going.
- Don't try to see everything in one visit. The Bullock Museum is perfect for repeat trips. The artifacts on display change frequently, so each visit creates a new story.
Artifacts, or historical objects, create the complete picture of Texas history. Galleries throughout the Museum use artifacts to tell stories that every member of your family can relate to.
Texas History Galleries - Two floors of exhibitions introduce you to Texas as a part of Mexico, an independent nation, and an American state. Galleries feature opportunities to discuss identity, conflict, innovation, technology, the arts, and so much more. Please note: A portion of the Bullock Museum’s first floor galleries, including the ship La Belle, is temporarily closed and undergoing a major transformation that opens fall 2018. (Read more.)
Discover history, science, and culture through film in the Museum's two theaters. The Texas Spirit Theater features 4D effects that truly let you experience Texas. Upgraded digital technology in the IMAX® Theatre brings historical events, scientific innovation, and the natural world to the largest screen in Texas.
Your ticket purchase supports the Bullock Museum's exhibitions and educational programming.
Programs for Families
The Bullock Museum is for families! Regularly-scheduled special programs for kids ages 2 to 12 and their adult companions make memories that help everyone tell their own stories. Check the calendar to view upcoming events, or contact the Family Programs Manager at Education@TheStoryofTexas.com for additional information.
Want to be the first to know about what's going on for families at the Bullock Museum? Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter.
- H-E-B Free First Sundays: Everyone is invited to enjoy free exhibition admission all day on the first Sunday of every month. Most months, H-E-B Free First Sundays offer special family programs from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. that combine art creation, performances, and gallery activities.
- Family Workshops: Discover the stories behind Museum exhibitions and artifacts, then create something to take home. Great for families with kids ages six and up, each session is about 45 minutes long.
- Preschool Programs: Bring your young Texans ages 2-5 to enjoy storytimes, hands-on activities, and workshops developed especially with their needs in mind.
- Seasonal programming: The Museum offers special programming during school holidays and breaks for visitors age 2 and older.
- Homeschool Days: Twice a year, the Museum offers homeschool educators and their students school group rates for films in the Texas Spirit Theater and IMAX® Theatre, as well as curriculum resources and thematic activities.
A wonderful museum for the family! Amanda C., Abilene
Support for the Bullock Museum's exhibitions and education programs provided by the Texas State History Museum Foundation.